Rize of the Morning Star Presents ROCKIN FOR WEST PAPUA
August 26, 2016
The Free West Papua Campaign is happy to announce that the first GLOBAL PEACE CONCERT being held for West Papua is starting NOW!!!
Please go to our Rockin for West Papua Facebook page to follow all updates and events, and get involved!
Since 1963, an estimated 500,000 West Papuans have died at the hands of occupying Indonesia. That’s 25% of the population.While the Indonesian government continues to persecute any West Papuan that calls for freedom, foreign governments do nothing. The situation has been largely ignored by the international community for the last 50 years, because all foreign media and NGOs are banned from entering the country. This creates a problem faced by few other global causes. How can you change anything when very few people are aware of the situation in the first place?
It’s time to make some noise & #MusicIsOurWeapon
ROCKIN for WEST PAPUA October 2016
In collaboration with Rize of the Morning Star, and the legends behind the award winning Punks for West Papua Documentary, Rockin for West Papua is a worldwide music collaboration where musicians are performing in cities around Australia, UK and South Africa (so far!) this October to help bring West Papua to a global audience. To get involved, please scroll down for more info.
These legends are performing for PEACE for WEST PAPUA in a city near you soon, so show them your support, and spread the word people!
***MORE GLOBAL CONCERTS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON******** and further dates in December & 2017 to be announced. Get in touch if you’d like to be involved.
Whilst West Papuan music, & the Morning Star flag, is outlawed by the Indonesian Military, Rockin’ For West Papua & Rize Of The Morning Star are inviting musicians, artists and anybody who wants to make a stand, to raise the Morning Star and support West Papua by organising gigs, or any social gathering or display of support, record music and to perform with the Morning Star flag. We need to join our voices together and let the world governments know we stand for West Papua & uphold equal rights for all human beings….
What you can do to get involved:
Music has played a key role in spreading the message and building solidarity and support for West Papua, but we need more musicians to add their voice and energy to the movement.
- Join Rockin for West Papua & Rize of the Morning Star on Facebook & get in touch. Follow all events and help us to spread the word.
- Start contacting with your favourite artists and invite them to join the “largest global music collaborative for peace” this world will ever see!!! With your help, we can do it.
- Video messages of support from bands and artists. It should include an intro, message for West Papua and asking people to inform themselves of what is happening in West Papua and to join Rize of the Morning Star and start Rockin for West Papua NOW! (Feel free to go off spec :) Here’ some examples: John Butler, Raki Ap, & Slashdogs! We can help put it together.
- Send us the photos! Get your Morning Star flag and raise it high! Take it on stage with you, to a concert and take photos with as many people as possible, especially those in the public eye who can help us raise the awareness of West Papua to their followers. We would love Morning Star flags to be flown on major stages throughout the world.
- Please hashtag and share the news far and wide.
#Musicisourweapon #RizeoftheMorningStar #FreeWestPapua #LetWestPapuaVote
- *Artists and venues that come aboard will get a free link to watch the award winning Doco ‘Punks for West Papua’ to get you up to date with what’s going on in West Papua.* PLUS the best ones we will upload on to our site with 240,000 followers!
“We stand for Peace, Freedom and Self Determination in West Papua. We believe that music can rise above tyranny, we believe that we can fight with music as our weapon, and we believe we can use it to unite, to mobilise and resist oppression”. Ronny Kareni
West Papuans in Paniai raise their guitars and fists in the air during a show of support for West Papua’s full membership of the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG).
Free West Papua concert at the Sydney Opera House, Australia, 2013
Please do get in touch with us if you have any questions, ideas and any contacts in the music & arts industry that we can invite to participate.